BPC COVID19 SAFETY PROTOCOLS FALL 2020
Based on the State of Massachusetts “Workplace Safety and Reopening Standards” addressing adult amateur sports activities which became effective as of 8/17/20, the Brookline Paddle Club (BPC) intends to open for the Fall of 2020. In an effort to operate in compliance with the State’s mandatory health and safety standards, the following protocols will be instituted for all activity at BPC, including social and league play.
Failure to adhere to the club’s policies could lead to the termination of membership.
All members and visitors must adhere to the Massachusetts Dept of Health guidelines and BPC’s policies regarding COVID-19. Members and guests are required to complete our Covid19 waiver.
BPC prohibits individuals from playing if they:
- Aren’t feeling well for any reason.
- Are exhibiting any symptoms of the coronavirus. See HERE the CDC list of symptoms.
- Have been in contact with someone with COVID-19 in the last 14 days.
‘Vulnerable’ individuals are strongly discouraged from playing. See HERE for the CDC definition.
Access to the Club:
- You cannot make a reservation or enter the campus until you have read the following Covid19 Saftey Protocols & completed our waiver.
- Members cannot enter campus without their BPC Parking Pass. If you still do not have one let us know and we will mail one to you.
- One person in your foursome must have a court reservation.
- Be prepared to show an ID at the guard gate if asked and know the name of the member who made your court reservation.
- Before you play all of the names of members of your foursome need to be entered into the “notes” field in your court reservation.
- At this time, no guests are allowed other than league nights (Mon, Tues & Weds). This excludes household family members who are allowed to join you. “Inactive Members” are not allowed as they are guests. We will assess our guest rules as time passes.
- We are installing port-o-potties. In the meantime, we have no restrooms and are not allowed to use the gym or to enter any college buildings.
- Do not go anywhere on campus other than from your car to our facilities and wear a mask while doing so.
Preparing to Play:
- Arrive ‘ready to play’
- There is no changing area at BPC. The hut is closed until further notice, and there will be no access to Pine Manor College (PMC) facilities.
- Wash your hands or use a hand sanitizer before arriving.
- Clean and wipe down your equipment, including paddles and water bottles before arriving.
- Use new balls.
- Bring your own water, preferably in a reusable bottle. There is no trash or recycling container provided. Carry in/carry out.
- Eat before you come.
- While we hope to provide a portable restroom solution, please consider using the restroom before you arrive. PMC restrooms will not be accessible.
- Exit your vehicle and walk to and into the facility wearing a mask. Your mask may be removed once you’re on your court. Do not walk anywhere on the PMC campus other than from your car to the club.
- If awaiting to play, please adhere to all accepted facemask & social distancing protocols.
- Arrive as close as possible to your scheduled start time.
- The Hut is closed with the exception of entering to turn on and off the lights or heaters
- BPC will provide hand sanitizer at each court, and players are asked to use sanitizer prior to the start and at the conclusion of play.
- Try to remain six feet apart from other players, as possible during play.
- Practice touchless sportsmanship (avoid shaking hands or giving high fives).
- Maintain physical distancing when changing ends of the court with each team choosing an opposite end of the net for the duration of the match. (Follow the on-court instructions) Each team to put water bottles and extra gear on their dedicated sides of the court.
- If taking a break during play, remain apart from other players and stay on the court, if possible.
- Use four balls, if you want extra precaution. Although unlikely, it’s possible that paddle balls can transmit the COVID-19 virus, as virtually any hard surface can transmit the disease. So here is an extra precaution you can take to keep safe when playing platform tennis:
- Have each player serve with their own ball.
- Only the server touches their own ball. Everyone else hits or kicks the ball back to the server.
- Avoid touching your face after handling a ball, racquet or other equipment.
- Use your paddle/foot to pick up balls and hit them to your opponent. Avoid using your hands to pick up the balls.
- Do not share paddles or any other equipment such as balls, wristbands, grips, hats, and towels.
- At the conclusion of play, use the court hand sanitizer station and mask up.
Scheduling & off-court Behavior:
- Play must begin and end promptly to allow players to enter and exit without overlap with the previous or following group.
- All BPC members must use parking passes to enter PMC. Guest names must be given to the guard hut in advance of guests arriving. We suggest you arrive ahead of your guest and tell the guard the name of your guest. Please review the guest policies on the scheduling page of our website.
- For the purpose of contact tracing, the match host, that is s/he who books the court time, must maintain a record of who they played with and their contact information. The match host should notify the club administrator should a member of their party become positive following play.
- BPC will have cleaning protocols posted at the club.
- All people who are not on a court are required to wear a mask if 6 feet of distance cannot be maintained with others.
- Everyone is required to wear a mask when walking from their cars to our facility
- No one is allowed anywhere on the college campus other than our parking area and our facilities
Club Capacity Rule
- After play, players are urged to leave withing 20 minutes of finishing play. This is intended to keep crowds from forming and to limit total numbers of people at our facility.
- No more than 12 people should be on the club’s decks (off the courts) at any one time. If more than 12 are present, the player(s) who have been there the longest are required to leave.
Guests will be permitted with the following requirements:
- Guest names must be given to PMC Security in advance. Please arrive ahead of your guest and give the name of your guest to the security guard.
- Guests must adhere to all BPC COVID19 Safety Protocols. It is the responsibility of the member host to notify their guest of these protocols.
- These guest policies are subject to change based on the COVID19 environment and the compliance of our membership to club policies.
- Members and guests are required to complete our Covid19 waiver. If you are a Family Member, all participating members of your family must execute the waiver.